Family Law Services

At AML Solicitors, we understand that the breakdown of a marriage or relationship is a very emotional time. We pride ourselves on our understanding at this very stressful time for you and your family. Our specialist Family Law team will offer you the patience and the help that you need.


Our Matrimonial and family services include: -

  • Divorce and dissolution of civil partnership
  • Domestic Abuse/ Force Marriage Orders
  • Financial/ Ancillary Matters
  • Pre-Nuptial Agreements
  • Co-habitation Agreements
  • Separation Agreements
  • Child Contact Matters
  • Grandparent rights
  • Social Service involvement
  • Parental Responsibility Agreements
  • Co-habitation/ TOLATA Matters
  • Change of Name deeds

    We can further assist you with a range of Islamic Family Law matters, providing pioneering solutions which work under English and Sharia law. These include:

  • Islamic Divorce
  • Islamic Financial Settlement
  • Islamic Mediation
  • Marriage Counselling and Reconciliation service.

    Why choose us?

    We are 100% client focused, we are caring, professional and focused on your needs. Your case will be handled with sensitivity and care by a solicitor. All our services are tailored to meet the specific needs of your case.


    We can advise clients who speak English, Urdu, Punjabi.


    Our Family Solicitors are delighted to offer low cost fixed fee services. We will advice you as on the most cost effective solutions to your problems and we can discuss a number of payment options available. We offer the option of fixed fees for all areas of Family Law.


    Contact us

    To arrange a FREE initial consultation with one of the Family Law solicitors, call us on 0161 795 4777.

    Alternatively, please come along to one of our Free Advice clinics, click here for more details.



    Any relationship breakdown can cause great emotional stress. You will have difficult and sometimes distressing decisions to make about your children and/ or assets. There are a number of issues that need discussing and resolving, and it is usually then that you would benefit from the help of a specialist divorce lawyer.


    If your marriage has broken down, our divorce lawyers can provide you with advice on contested and uncontested divorce proceedings


    If you are thinking of separating, whether permanent or on a trial basis, we can assist in formalizing details for an agreement, known as a Separation Agreement.


    Whatever the situation, we want to make your relationship breakdown as painless as possible. We have a wealth of experience and are able to provide clear advice to assist you throughout the stressful process of divorce. Our Divorce Solicitors are here to help you. To contact one of our specialist Divorce Lawyers in relation to your divorce requirements please call 0161 795 4777


    Domestic Abuse and Force Marriage Orders

    Domestic abuse, also known as domestic violence or mental abuse, is unfortunately a common occurrence. At AML solicitors we understand that it often takes a great deal of time and courage for a victim to seek assistance. Our expert domestic violence solicitors offer a confidential and sympathetic approach, providing support and knowledgeable legal advice. If necessary and with your consent we can liaise with outside agencies, such as the police and women's or men's refuge organizations, to ensure that you have the correct support and assistance whilst receiving the best legal advice.


    If you are married or are living with someone, an application can be made for an injunction under the Family Law Act 1996. The Court may grant a without notice order, the hearing for such cases are heard either on the same day or within 48 hours. The types of Injunction orders available are:


    1. Non-Molestation Order

    A non-molestation order prevents a violent partner from using or threatening violence, intimidating, harassing or pestering, communicating with the victim, this includes sending text messages and coming near the home. It is a criminal offence to breach a non-molestation injunction and it may lead to arrest and a custodial sentence. The order will ordinarily be granted for a year.


    2. Occupation Order

    If one party is locked out of the family home, or there is a dispute as to which party should stay or be excluded, it is possible to apply for an occupation order. This is the second type of injunction available under the Family Law Act, allowing you to enforce your right to remain, or return to the family home.



    In order for a marriage to be legal, the parties must enter into it with free and full consent. When someone is forced into getting married against their will, they are victims of forced marriage. Under the Forced Marriage Civil Protection Act, where a forced marriage has or is about to take place, courts will be able to make orders to protect the victim or the potential victim and help remove them from that situation. Again, hearings for such cases can be heard on the same day or within 48 hours.


    If you would like to discuss any of the above, please contact us today on 0161 795 4777 for a FREE consultation.


    Financial / Ancillary Matters

    If your marriage or civil partnership has come to an end, then there will often be financial decisions to be made regarding the family home, how to divide up savings, possessions, property and pensions. If you have any children, there will also be the matter of child maintenance to consider.


    If you are lucky enough to be able to agree on how you'd like to divide your financial assets then you will need to apply for a Clean Break Consent Order. A Consent Order outlines what you have agreed and how you intend to divide your assets.


    If you are unable to agree on how these assets are to be divided, then you may be left with no other option but to apply for a financial order through the courts.


    At AML Solicitors, we pride ourselves for securing the most beneficial and cost-effective solution for you. We can help negotiate and try to reach a financial settlement outside of court.


    We recommend you call us today on 0161 795 4777, before making a financial decision arising from divorce.


    Pre-Nuptial Agreements

    A pre-nuptial agreement is a contract that is entered into by couples before marriage which determines the division of property and assets including spousal support in the event of a divorce. There is no legislation in England and Wales relating to pre-nuptial agreements which makes them binding. However, the Courts are increasingly enforcing and supporting pre-nuptials especially if certain requirements have been fulfilled at the time the agreements were entered into, such as did both parties seek individual legal advice prior to entering.


    If you are considering getting married and you are considering a prenuptial agreement contact one of our family solicitors who will be able to provide you with expert advice and guidance, please call on 0161 795 4777 for a free consultation.


    Co-habitation/ TOLATA Matters

    Many couples choose cohabitation instead of marriage. However, English law treats unmarried couples very differently to married ones. It is usually only on separation that unmarried couples become painfully aware of what legal rights they have. Unlike married couple, cohabiting couples have no legal obligations towards one another that arise from their relationship. They can however, have legal obligations that arise from other sources such as owning a property or having children together.


    The law generally treats them as unrelated individuals. Unless jointly owned, they will have no rights in relation to each other's assets except in limited circumstances.


    Our specialist cohabitation solicitors are able to advise and assist you and your partner should you wish to draw up agreement. For advice or to arrange an appointment to discuss your requirements contact our cohabitation agreement experts on 0161 795 4777.


    Child Contact Matters

    Our experienced Child Law Solicitors appreciate that arrangements concerning your children are extremely important to both you and your children, and it is often the most sensitive issue we deal with.


    Our specialist children lawyers work with you to bring a quick and amicable conclusion to any dispute regarding children using a friendly yet professional approach. In the event that your matter cannot be resolved via negotiation, we will advise you about mediation and where necessary issue Proceedings in the Family Courts for a Section 8 order.


    The Orders that the Family Court can make regarding children have had many different names previously including custody/residence and contact. Child Arrangements Orders have been replaced with the old Residence and Contact order and it determines who the child lives with and how much time they spend with the absent parent.


    We at AML solicitors can also advice you on the following:

  • A Prohibited Steps Order. This prevents a person from taking a specific step in relation to a child for example preventing them from being permanently removed from the country etc.
  • Specific issue order – this allows the Court to decide on an issue which relates to the child or children upon which the separating couple cannot reach an agreement for example choice of school etc.

    Parental Responsibility

    'Parental responsibility' is a legal term that covers all the rights, duties and responsibilities that a parent of a child has by law. It includes being involved in important decisions, such as what medical treatment your child receives, which school they attend, who can apply for their passport or whether their name can be changed.


    A mother automatically acquires Parental Responsibility at the birth of the child. A father acquires Parental Responsibility if he was:

    a. Married to the mother at the time of the child's birth
    b. Named as the father on the birth certificate after 2003.


    If you do not already have Parental Responsibility then you can apply through the courts. Our experienced team of specialist family law and divorce solicitors can advise you on a whole range of parental responsibility issues.


    To obtain parental responsibility, our family lawyers can advise you on drawing up a parental responsibility agreement with the mother. Or, if the mother refuses, we can help you to apply for a parental responsibility or residence order through the Court.


    For more information, or to speak to an experienced child Law solicitor, call us now on 0161 795 4777 to arrange a free initial consultation.


    Grandparent Rights

    Having regular and consistent contact with grandparents can massively benefit a child's life. It can give them the comfort of having a wider family unit and having more people to turn to when problems may occur.


    However, an estimated one million grandparents in Britain are currently denied access to their grandchildren, usually as a result of family breakdown. It is often the grandparents who become the innocent victims when a dispute arises between the parents of the children. This can cause distress to the children and the grandparent's particularity if they used to see each other regularly before the breakdown.


    Currently, the law does not give grandparents any set rights to have contact with their grandchildren. However, with the permission of the court grandparents are able to make an application for a Child Arrangement Order, which determines who the child lives with and who the child has contact with. The Courts generally recognise that it is in the best interests of the child to have contact with both sets of grandparents and that grandparents have a valuable role to play in the upbringing of the child.


    If you are a Grandparent and you would like to have access to your grandchild, please give us a call on 0161 795 4777.


    Social Services Involvement

    If Social Services have become involved with your children, or they are about to be, we have a specialist team who will be able to advise you on every aspect of your case.


    We will be able to write to Social Services on your behalf and attend all meetings and conferences with you so that you have legal support in very stressful circumstances. We will help you resolve matters with Social Services to allow your case to be closed with them as soon as possible.


    Please call us on 0161 795 4777 to speak to a Family Law expert.




    • Lexcel logo and link
    • Law Society Logo and link
    • Company_LOGO3
    • Sahca logo
    • Apil logo